Mounts History

1925-1965
Garden was named in honor of Marvin U. “Red” Mounts, who served Palm Beach County Extension and Palm Beach County farmers for over 40 years. He established and cared for the Garden’s collection of fruit trees to help produce new food resources that could help families overcome vitamin deficiencies. By 1964 there were 69 fruit producing trees growing on site.
1954
The Mounts Building at 531 N.Military Trail was built and plantings were begun soon after.
1975
Clayton E. Hutcheson became the Director of the Palm Beach County Extension Service. He established a demonstration garden in an old horse pasture to show which plants could thrive best in the South Florida climate.
1978
Hutcheson, supported by numerous horticultural groups including the Rare Fruit Council International, two Orchid societies, the Herb Society of Palm Beach County, the Fern Society, Begonia Society, Rose Society and Hibiscus Society, developed the property and the Extensinon office building into “The Mounts Horticultural Learning Center”. It was dedicated in 1979.
1983

“The Friends of the Mounts Learning Center” was established to support the Garden. This effort grew out of a garden advisory committee formed in 1975 by Clayton Hutcheson. It was a non-profit organization whose goal was to provide voluntary personnel and funding support from private sources to facilitate acquiring and exhibiting horticultural materials and to provide educational opportunities to Palm Beach County.

1985
An expansion effort added 10 acres to the garden.
1986

The name of the center was officially changed to “Mounts Botanical Garden”.
In the same year the name of the Friends was changed to “The Friends of the Mounts Botanical Garden” and it became a 501(c)3 non-profit organization with the purpose of support, expansion and development of the Garden.

1988
A new $1.4 million, 18,000 sq ft office complex was built to house the Palm Beach County Cooperative Extension Service.
1991-1996
Two master plans for the Garden were initiated, one by a University of Florida landscape class and another by Sasaki and Associates of Watertown, Massachusetts. These two plans were evaluated, combined and reworked as a project of the University of Florida’s Department of Landscape Design in affiliation with Larry Teague Landscape Architecture to develop a Master Plan that could be implemented in the near future.
2004
The Master Plan was completed and accepted.
2004–2005
Hurricanes Ivan, Jean and Irene wreaked havoc on Palm Beach County and destroyed major parts of the Garden including almost half of its trees.
2006–2009
Spent clearing, replanting flowers and trees, and reestablishing beds that were ruined by the hurricanes.
2014
The name of the Garden was changed to “Mounts Botanical Garden of Palm Beach County”.

Gazebo_in_Garden

Tropical_in_Garden

Butterfly_in_Garden

Butterfly_Garden

Rain_Forest

Contact

ADMISSIONS

  • Suggested Donation: $5
  • Members: Free
  • Events and Exhibits may have special pricing

Get Involved

MBG Newsletter

West Palm Beach, FL
72°
few clouds
humidity: 73%
wind: 6mph WNW
H 74 • L 72
75°
Mon
78°
Tue
79°
Wed
81°
Thu
77°
Fri
Weather from OpenWeatherMap